We ask that all participants meet the CDA Council for Professional Recognition requirements, as outlined below:
By the time you complete classes with us, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Hold an active Child Development Associate certificate (If your certificate has expired it may not be too late to enroll in CDA renewal classwork and renew your CDA certificate. Please contact us to discuss the specifics with this.)
- And at the conclusion of CDA renewal classwork have at least 80 hours of experience with young children in the past year (This experience with young children can happen during your time taking class and could be either a paid or volunteer work experience. This could include, but is not limited to volunteering in a child care center, assisting with a Sunday school program, babysitting, working as an assistant teacher in a nursery school, leading a summer camp club, volunteering in an after-school program, etc.)
- Access to a cellular phone, computer, laptop or tablet
- An internet connection
- An email account
- Access to a cell phone with a camera or scanner
Students will work approximately 45 hours on CDA coursework completion. Participants have up to six months to complete CDA renewal coursework in its entirety. The typical student completes in four weeks. Students can log on to CDAClass.org and work toward coursework completion during the day, evening, weekends, and even holidays. The date a student enrolls is their official start date. All CDA renewal students have six months from the official start date to submit all needed materials for approval.
Students order the materials below after class begins. Materials take 14 business days to arrive. For pricing please contact us.
- CDA renewal textbook
- CDA renewal application packet
- National Association for Child Development Associates (NACDA) membership
Our coursework focuses on establishing productive relationships with families. This material includes:
- the importance of family-teacher partnerships
- daily communication with families
- creating successful parent meetings and events
- classroom environments
- curriculum planning
- solving conflicts with families
Additionally, we provide guidance on all of the steps to submitting your application to the Council for Professional Recognition for CDA renewal. This material includes, but is not limited to; assistance in locating an early childhood reviewer, joining a membership organization, documenting your experience in the early childhood field and much more.
Tuition for our 45 hour program is $475, which can be split into three monthly payments of just $160 per month. This is less than $11 a training hour. Click here to request a payment plan application. There is a $50 application fee and textbooks are not covered in the price of tuition. Materials are not needed in the beginning of class. There are assignments students complete before materials are needed. There are three materials you will need in class. The textbook at $85, paperback application packet at $30 and the NACDA membership card at $45. This cost includes all shipping and taxes. Students typically order materials within 1-2 weeks after joining.
You may qualify for tuition scholarship and/or reimbursement. Click here to learn more about the state scholarship and reimbursement programs that are currently available.
All students need to apply to the CDA Council, in Washington D.C. There is a fee for this assessment process, but most states have either a scholarship and/or a reimbursement program available to pay for this. When you are enrolled in our program your instructor will assist you with locating potential scholarship opportunities.
Students will work approximately 45 hours on CDA renewal coursework. Participants can complete coursework in as little as four weeks, but have up to six months to complete CDA renewal coursework in its entirety. At the end of our program, students will submit their materials to the CDA Council to assess their work. The CDA Council takes approximately 2-6 weeks to assess CDA renewal candidates.
If your certificate has expired it may not be too late to enroll in CDA renewal classwork and renew your CDA certificate. Please contact us to discuss your specific situation.
The initial CDA credential is valid for three years. You need to start renewal approximately 6 months – 1 year before expiration of your credential.